Friday, April 10, 2009

My Story

After reworking our budget for the millionth time, I became frustrated with our grocery and household expenses. It felt like we were CONSTANTLY running out of things and waiting until the next week to stock up again. Or worse -- we would run out to the corner drugstore and spend more than anticipated for milk or catfood or whatever.

I had tried clipping coupons, but gave up in a few months. As with most things, I knew that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE knew more than me and I determined to search the internet under the tags of frugal living, coupons, and strategic shopping.

Lo and behold, I was right! In fact, there were lots of people that knew more than me. They rarely ran out of stuff and almost never paid full price for anything. I had found my tribe!

After reading up on all the cool strategies, I determined to make small changes. Baby steps, right? For me, here's how it all transpired:

1. Wrote out our basic weekly menu. Listed ALL ingredients needed.

2. Determined how much of a stockpile I wanted to build.

3. Organized pantry to accommodate growing stockpile.

4. Began by shopping at Aldi (here's the link to my 4-week shopping plan)

5. Subscribed HERE for 70% off the Sunday paper.

6. Filed coupon inserts by date -- did not clip anything until needed.

7. Joined CVS Extra Care program.

8. Looked for SALE and COUPON match-ups on my favorite frugal blogs (see side bar for list)

9. Began to shop the sales and "cherry-pick" the deals. Budget started to loosen!! Aldi list became smaller as I started to get several items each week for pennies on the dollar by using the sale/coupon match-ups.

10. Checked frugal websites daily for online deals and printable coupons.

11. STOPPED BUYING shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, etc. because I knew that I could get it FREE with CVS weekly or monthly deals and with grocery sales/coupon match-ups. (Crazy, isn't it?)

12. Started giving stuff away weekly because we have more than we could ever use. (unless I find another use for toothpaste)

13. Friends started asking how I did it. When I tried to explain all the little steps, I became overwhelmed at the many details. Decided to blog about it instead, so friends could digest a little at a time.

14. And here I am!

Hope that helps any of you who are looking to get started with all this. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm always glad to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment